Liepaja University (LiepU) is an accredited state higher education institute which implements programs at all three study levels of Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD. We run about 30 full-time and part-time programs for almost 1150 students. 150 academic staff (including 93 Lecturers, 23 Assistant Professors, 12 Associate Professors, and 22 Professors) and 29 non-academic staff supports all teaching and learning processes. The university has its own anthem, coat of arms, logo and a banner. So far, more than 20 thousand students have graduated from the LiepU.
Historically, Liepaja University was founded in 1954 as a Teacher Training Institute. It’s name was firstly Liepaja Pedagogical Institute (LPI). The Institute’s campus was located in Baseina iela 9, Liepaja. For many years, LPI offered programs only in education. In the 1990s and after the independence of the Republic of Latvia offering a broad spectrum of non-pedagogical study programs was started; and in consequence, the LPI renamed to the Liepāja Academy of Pedagogy and finally to the Liepaja University on 16th of July, 2008.